Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Some Stevie

I love love love Stevie Wonder. There have been times in my life when all I would listen to is Stevie. He is amazing and he has so much to say about love.

One particular song that I am fond of is "As." There's a line in that song that always gives me pause:

Did you know that true love asks for nothing?

Wait, nothing? Nothing at all? I can't really wrap my brain around the concept that love, true love asks for nothing. So nothing in return, no favours. It's just...love, love for the sake of love.

I gotta say I'm not sure if I buy that. But that could be because I don't think I know what true love is, nor do I think that I've experienced it. I know I've experienced love, some form of love. But true love? I'm not even sure if there is a difference between true love and just plain old love.

But maybe I'm missing this completely. Maybe I shouldn't take this line so seriously. Obviously if it asked: did you know that true love asks for a little? That is not nearly as powerful as asking for nothing. Maybe true love only asks for a little, like all I really want is your time, your presence, you to listen and share your life with me. That doesn't seem like much, right? And yet if true love doesn't asks for much or even nothing at all, why is it that so many people get it wrong? (myself included)

I don't think I can even point to a real life (as opposed to fake life) couple who I look at and say: wow, I want to be like them some day. Honestly, there isn't. I can look on TV and find it easily, but alas, TV does not reflect reality. I have mentioned before that I'm a fan of Scrubs. My favourite couple on that show is Carla and Turk. They go through their share of tough times (at least as much as they can and still be a TV couple) and they make it. I love that. Yet it never seems that simple.

Life is hard and love seems even harder. But that doesn't stop me from trying. My experiences with love have been good and bad but I'm still hoping I'll find "that very special someone to share all [my] dreams with" (courtesy of Indie Arie "Can you be a part of my life?) That person might be hard to find but I think he's worth it and he'll think I'm worth it too :)

1 comment:

  1. You're right; it is a mind-boggling concept. The second person who came to mind when I heard that description of true love is my dad (the first was Jesus), and he makes me believe that it's possible for someone to do that: love someone without asking for anything in return. I just don't feel like I could ever do it. I think the world teaches us too young about all the things we "need." The women we see on tv want men who give them things or do exactly what they want, and that's what I've come to desire (at least the doing-what-I-want part). I don't know how I feel about that... Is it wrong to be demanding of the person you love?

    ReplyDelete